Saturday, September 5, 2009

One of 6 children, I was born and raised outside of Portland, OR, in the great Northwest. In 2003 my wife (Hallie J. Mahar) and I married in Or. City, OR on maybe the hottest day of the year. About a year later we decided to expand our family and adopted Jake, a Lab/Elkhound mix from the local humane society. While he has been a welcomed addition to our family, on 03 Dec 2008 we expanded once again when our daughter Lilyann was born. She is truly a bundle of joy and getting ready to celebrate her first birthday. We enjoy spending time outside and playing in the Florida sun whenever we have time off together. Hallie is an English/Literature Major from the University of Idaho and works tirelessly as my nutrition/prep coach.

I grew up competing and coaching in the sport of gymnastics at Top Flyte Gymnastics (currently located in Troutdale, OR). Gymnastics was a wonderful start for me and I would be remiss if I didn’t mention Don and Julie West (the owners) who took me under their wing and not only gave me a job but also helped grow my love for personal fitness. It was during this period that I realized I had a deep passion for coaching and educating others in health and wellness. I started weight training at age 16, an easy and natural transition from gymnastics, and have never looked back. I’ve been lifting for over a decade now and don’t plan on stopping anytime soon.

In 2001 just prior to 9/11 I joined the US Coast Guard (CG) and did a tour on the Coast Guard Cutter Valiant out of Miami Beach, FL. On the Valiant I met my good friend and current trainer Craig Lawson. He further developed my passion for weight training and helped educate me on the importance of nutrition and how to incorporate it into my everyday life. I continue to expand upon those basic principles to this day.

After the Valiant I spent a few years as a corpsman and medic in Seattle, WA where I continued to weight train and started power lifting. I assembled a Coast Guard bench press team and we took first place two consecutive years at a Navy sponsored military power lifting competition on Whidby Island in WA.

After five fantastic years as an enlisted member I decided I wanted to pursue the opportunity of becoming an Officer and pilot for the CG. With a LOT of help and encouragement from my lovely wife and several coworkers I was accepted to attend Officer Candidate School in New London, CT followed by Naval flight training in Pensacola, FL. After just under two years of grueling flight school, I received the coveted Wings of Gold and got orders to fly the HU-25 Falcon Jet out of Miami Beach, FL.

Shortly after moving back to Miami I got a call from my good friend Craig Lawson who had also just received orders to the Miami area. Even though it had been almost 8 years since we were last stationed together it was no problem picking up where we left off. I had gained over 20 lbs of lean muscle (using the principles I learned from him on the Valiant) and had been looking for the right time to start competing as a natural bodybuilder. I wanted to push myself to my mental and physical limit and see just how far my diet, determination, and focus could take me. With flight school behind me, Craig as my trainer and Hallie as my personal motivator I finally felt this was the best time to start.

I became a member of the International Natural Bodybuilding Association (INBA) and competed in the 2009 South Eastern Natural Bodybuilding Championships. To my surprise I not only took first in the Men’s Open category but also first overall. This earned me a spot to fly to California and compete at the INBA National championships. On 18 July 2009, at the 2009 INBA Sunshine State Classic I took second overall and was offered a spot on “Team USA” to compete at Natural Olympia in Australia (Oct 09) and Natural Universe in California (Nov 09). I am currently looking for sponsorships so that I can afford to undertake this ambitions goal. For more information or if you are interested in being a sponsor you can e-mail me at arthurandhallie@yahoo.com.

When I’m not flying, training, or taking classes at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University I enjoy spending my time serving those in my community. Recently I have had the pleasure and opportunity to be a judge for the 2009 JROTC Field Meet drill competition, organize a CG team to run in a local United Way 5k fundraiser, and participate in Habitat for Humanity Blitz Build providing homes for underprivileged families in South Florida. I take pleasure in being able to give tours of the Coast Guard Air Station and presentations of our aircraft and rescue equipment whenever possible. I have been able to do this recently for a group of kids and teachers from Miami Lighthouse, an organization that specializes in educating the blind and visually impaired. I also proudly support all natural bodybuilding in my community. I do this through financially supporting all natural bodybuilding organizations, participating as a contestant in natural bodybuilding competitions, and educating children and adults about the dangers of performance enhancing drugs and the importance of being a "clean" athlete. I routinely provide spots and education on fitness, muscle strength, nutrition and the importance of being all-natural.






1 comment: